Re: Engine dies when braking hard ????

To: "Mike Cousins" <Mike.Cousins@wsnelson.com>,
Subject: Re: Engine dies when braking hard ????
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:57:22 -0400
At 09:09 AM 7/13/98 -0500, Mike Cousins wrote:

>Just recently on my '77 B the engine dies when I brake really hard.  If I

>brake softly and come to a rolling stop - no problem.  Only when I brake

>hard to a stop does the engine die.  Is there some fuel splashing / float

>problem I'm having ????  I've got the dual SU carb setup.

Mike, if you retained the vacuum assist on your braking system, then it is
likely your servo is shot;  You may need to get a repair kit to rebuild the
system.  The kit is around $50 or so, and it isn't hard to replace at all.  To
determine if your vacuum assist servo is leaking, disconnect your vacuum line
to the manifold, and plug it (manifold side).  Drive the car, but realize that
your brakes will require much more force to apply.  If you hit the brakes, and
you don't stall, then this is your problem.

This is just a guess, as I've had this happen before.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.