Re: Credit Where Credit is Due (no LBC content)

To: Ann Snyder <snydera@mis.finchcms.edu>
Subject: Re: Credit Where Credit is Due (no LBC content)
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:58:37 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Ann and others,

ALthough I agree that PhDs not use the Doctor title socially in Anglophone
countries, Miss Manners is incorrect regarding the "traditional"
usage of Doctor by MDs. This is relatively recent (200 or so years) and is
due to usurpation of the Doctor title by physicians in order to gain
respectibility for a profession that, up until the last part of the 1800s,
lacked the intellectual rigor and training of PhDs, D.V.s, etc.. The
Doctor title is derived from the middle ages (or earlier) and was
originally reserved for Doctors of Philosophy, Theology etc.- people who
formed and defended an intellectual point of view (Thesis). Physicians do
not do this to this day (except for MD PhDs who do as part of the PhD).
The medical practitioners started calling themselves Doctor to gain some
of the respectibility that pertained to the title. It is now the exclusive
domain of physicians socially.
In my opinion, it would be best if MDs referred to themselves as
Physicians and removed any ambiguity regarding the Doctor term.
Languages other than English still reserve the Doctor title for learned
people and use other terms for physicians (medicin etc.).

"Never Ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521