Re: Parts problems- MGA/ B series motor -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, JustBrits@aol.com
Subject: Re: Parts problems- MGA/ B series motor -Reply
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:00:02 -0500
Ed @ JustBrits wrote: (with some editing)

<<<<Bill, that is  what you get by ordering from a drop shipper as they
don't see the goods.  Had you bought from traditional  distributor they
would have
a] recognized the wrong studs and NOT sent them
b] known that there are approx 60 of the type sent and 7 of the correct
ones in  Moss's stock.>>>>

Ed is right, of course.  Dealing with a knowledgeable and experienced
parts person can help avoid issues like we saw with the head studs,
cam gear, and cam thrust plate.  We all make a choice when we buy
things and it usually involves a tradeoff between quality/service and
price.  Keynsian economics, price points, et al.  I will continue to buy from
Moss because, on the average, they have provided a very good value
with their parts and service.  Maybe it's just the 1990's but I can't
remember the last time that I made a major purchase of good or services
when I have been completely satisfied.  This goes for cars, houses,
carpet, body work (aargh!!!) and yes LBC parts.  I choose to buy most of
my LBC parts from Moss though a drop shipper and get the deeper
discount.   I do trial fit everything I get and either return what doesn't fit
or
modify it accordingly.  Other than the appalling quality of rubber parts, I
have been mostly happy with what is shipped until now.  Being a
Scotsman (with the clans Farquharson, Scott, Lamont, and Keith in my
family tree) I usually go for the better deal ;-)

In any case,  my experience is that this list is about the best resource of
knowledge and experience that you could ask for.  If you have a
question, ask it.  If you have an experience you feel other would benefit
from, by all means share it.  People who are knowledgeable were not
born that way.  They got that way by participating and paying attention.  I
know I am a lot more knowledgeable now than I was a year ago and this
list has a lot to do with that change.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA who has benefited from and suffered through my quest for
knowledge