Re: Refinishing Rostyle wheels

To: PLM97@aol.com
Subject: Re: Refinishing Rostyle wheels
From: Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:18:06 -0400
PLM97@aol.com wrote:

> I've been off the list for a while, so I hope this question is not redundant.
> My rostyle wheels need work - I've had a spare sandblasted and primed.  Now
> I'm ready to refinish.  Got the masks, but not sure what type, brand and color
> paint to use.  Anyone have any suggestions.  Do you need to clear coat the
> wheel when finished?  And finally, how does the re-painted wheel hold up.
>
> FWIW - The 1600 coupe I was looking at went for $4900 at auction in MD.  So
> I'm still looking.  I prefer a roadster, but for the right price the coupe
> would have been great.
>
> P. Haase
> 74 Midget

I've used the Moss Silver - which is perfect and for the black I've
used Rustoleum Black.  The Mask is really a waste of time. But if You
do use it - get some spray adhesive spray it on the back of the mask
and let it get tacky - then apply to the wheel and paint the black
part - this is of course after having sprayed the entire wheel silver.

I used the mask when I did my midget - but when I did the GT I
just spayed the silver and then hand painted the black. Came out pretty
good.  Will last about two years then you will have to redo at least the
black paint.

Rick