RE: Why do Miata's have their tops up?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Why do Miata's have their tops up?
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:23:45 -0700
I will admit that I owned a Miata for about 5 years here in Sacramento,
California.  I had air conditioning, and it was very cool and cozy with
the hardtop on and the A/C blasting during our 100+ degree summer.  The
hardtop was left on after the rainy winter, the advantage of which was
that the soft top was in perfect condition after 5 years, since it was
stowed most all the time.

The hardtop would come off for about 3 months each year, during the
spring and fall (that is, when we actually GOT a spring or fall season.
Usually it would go right from rainy to hot, or vice versa.

After awhile, you didn't think of the Miata as an open-top sports car,
merely a good handling, peppy commuter podlet, like a Corolla with some
suspension mods.  I never even had to replace a fuse!  That's the reason
I sold it to get the MGB-GT V-8.  I needed something I could put my soul
into.  Now my wife is missing the Miata, and is threatening to buy a
used one.  Maybe after ten years or so, the Miata will feel more
MG-like, with engine problems and opaque soft top rear windows, etc.

Cheers,
Paul Kile