Re: MGB Tubes

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: MGB Tubes
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:21:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 miker15@juno.com wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:06:41 -0700 Skye Poier <skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca>
> writes:
> >Word on the street is that Art Pfenninger said:
> >>    I've tried the jack but never had much luck, the bead needs
> >to be broken before the tire iron will work, you can't break the bead
> with
> >the iron. The liquid soap is a necessity most of the time.
> You can break the bead with the irons, I know because I did it, before
> >i even knew what "breaking the bead" was or that it needed to be done :)
> >
> >I will say this though, its bloody hard work. Try the other methods
> >first.
>
> I'm a little bemused by this thread......a few weeks back when i was
> picking over the myriad spare wires in the basement to decide on the ones
> to restore I tried removing a tyre from one using tyre irons, a stanley
> knife, a hacksaw, a BFH and every expletive i could think of - miserable
> job, and after forty five minutes or so i moved on to something more
> productive!
> So i loaded the chosen five in the back of my parts hauler and took them
> to the
> nearest big chain  tyre place (Town Fair Tire) - it took the guy ten
> minutes to take the tyres off using their machine, did no damage to them
> and the guy wouldnt even charge me for it !(gave him ten bucks for a beer
> or two) as he said he didnt have a computer code for the job!
> This job goes into the same category as oil changes as far as im
> concerned.....why bother? plus, like oil, you dont have the problem of
> disposing of used tyres.
>
> I did buy the new tyres from Town Fair (well it wouldve been rude not to)
> but had them mounted and balanced by a friend of mine who has a proper
> wire balancer - the price for this was fixing the wiper motor in his Jag!
>

> mike robson
> 69 roadster
> 70 BGT
> 72 roadster

        This is not a flame but why would anyone that likes working on
their own car pay $15 for an oil change? For that much you could do the
job twice with the correct grade of oil and in less time than it would
take to drive to one of those quicky places. There was a thread a while
back on transmission oil changes and it seems that more than a few people
took their cars in and were given gear oil instead of motor oil. Most
oil change places (I would say) do not stock the correct filters ( again
remember the thread about Fram filters and anti drain back features) and
most have no idea on where to lube the car. As far as working on wire
wheels, yes it is a little effort but only to break the bead. Putting the
tire back on is an easy job. I have a spare wheel with a missing and bent
spoke that was result of garage that had no experience on wire wheels. I
would say to call ahead and if the place doesn't stock tubes then they
don't work on enough cars to have experience. Just MHO.
...Art