Re: British Miles

To: <rwiseman@exesys.com>
Subject: Re: British Miles
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 06:37:34 -0400
Bob Wisemen wrote:

>Okay Kai --
>
>You are going to get peeved at me, we have traded tips on Web Pages, etc.,
BUT
>when it comes to British Miles philosophy and attitude I need to make some
>comments.

Please do.

>I recognize you work there and they provide you an income, and your
relationship
>is different that the person calling in on the phone or standing in front
of
>their order desk.
>
>Try calling in sometime as some anonymous caller and asking for some part.
Do
>it like after 3:00 and it will be a real eye opener for you.

No, I see what goes on, and I tried to elude to it in my previous message.
However because I work there, I can't go into detail like you have (btw -
thanks for doing so).

>I only get things from them when I know I can get a specific used item or
NOS
>part.

Yup, I think I said that recommend some listers for "selected parts."

>I would never order anything over the phone since they will probably take a
week
>(or more) to ship it and it may not be what I ordered, so I ALWAYS go
direct to
>the shop to get parts.

Yup.  (I'm answering vaguely because I'm still employeed there)

>When I go there I spend no less than 1 to 2 hours waiting for maybe 2-4
items
>because they are constantly on the phone to a customer while I twiddle my
thumbs
>in the showroom.  Most of the conversation I can clearly overhear on their
phone
>call explains why they can't get the order out right away because the
showroom
>is filled with customers.....
>
>                    HUH?  I'm the only one there!!!!!

Yup.

>Tom is the most obnoxious, inconsiderate, and EGOTISTICAL person going...

Can't comment on this one.  (I will eventually)

>Paul is a DREAM and really knows his stuff, and goes out of his way to
help.  I
>enjoy working with him.

Said that in the last message also.

>But TOM........
>
>Art is wrong about it being a 2 man operation.. And you are too when you
say its
>3-4....NOT BEHIND THE DESK OR PHONE...  I have been there at least 12-15
times
>in the last 2 years and there has NEVER been more than 1 person behind the
desk
>(or at the same time answering the phone.), unless Tom's wife or kids were
there
>at the same time.

By desk, I didn't mean counter.  I'll clarify.  What I meant was that there
are 3-4 people inside that are responsible for the mailorder and counter
business.  Those 3-4 people are capable of handling the desk or phone, which
is what they are *supposed* to do.  (I hope everyone is reading my keywords)

>The last time I went there my son (about your age) said "Dad...I'm not
going
>with you...Everytime we go there it takes forever to get out while he
spends his
>time on the phone, and then you get the wrong parts".

Too bad you can't see my head shake by email.  :-)

>What's the wrong parts about:
>
>A rebuilt alternator (in a box that I should have opened)..  It was
obviously
>not new when I got home and opened the box, and then Tom accused me of
>lying.........

>An engine for my 1500 Midget.  He guaranteed it, but it had Major Main
Bearing
>problems.  I confronted Tom twice on it -- in the showroom and then in
front of
>customers at the New Hope car show and he weaseled his way out both times.
>Never even tried to back up the "Guarantee".

What can I say?  You're not the only one with these concerns and problems.

>I did get some satisfaction out of the sale though -- Tom said because of
the
>price it had to be a "cash sale".  Okay with me I thought -- I knew he was
>trying to hide it from IRS... But so what....

<snipage>
>I didn't do anything wrong !!  His employees did.. They didn't know he was
>trying to hide the sale (Did I say Dishonest earlier)
>
>HEY, if he wasn't trying to be dishonest to begin with..............Too Bad
TOM
>-- OK    IRS!!!!!

Too bad I can't comment on this

>If Paul could throw Tom out and run the place it would be great.   Don't be
>caught up with how they treat you as an employee, with all the customers
the
>"p...s" off on the phone, then take forever to send it, the send an
inferior
>part, and end up telling the customer they are lying.  I still have the
>Alternator in my garage with my receipt if you want to see it.

I've been treated great as an employee.  I'm not mad about that.  Could I
borrow that alternator at the end of August? ;-)

<lil snip>

>BUT, I WILL go back and WASTE my time again when I need that one part that
only
>they have. BUT, only when Tom is not around ( I now call ahead).  I'm not
going
>to be lied to or cheated again.

Good advise for anyone wanting to drop by.

>I'll also probably wander out back and meet some of the employees in the
>"yard".  Met a "great guy" when I got the 1500 engine (even though it was
bad).
>They have a lot of goood people there .. LIKE YOU..... But you are not on
the
>phone with their "attitude" or receiving bad or wrong parts and then trying
>get it rectified.

You're right, I've never gotten a bad part.  Now do you want to know what
I've bought from BM in the last 4 years?  List:

Dec 26, 1994 - Original MGA (book) - $35
sometime in April 95 - Really Expensive Car Cover - $220
July 1997 - SU Carb rebuild kit - $70

Thats the whole list.  Thats pretty much all the MG parts I've bought since
I purchased my MGB.

>Like I said earlier Tom is  ..........    ...........  ...........

Not enough blanks.

>The List members can probably fill in the blanks

I wish I could.

Kai - kmr@pil.net