Re: Preserving NOS Parts

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: Preserving NOS Parts
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 17:49:20 -0700
MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks to Roar Nygard of Norway, who's e-mail address I will provide if he
> lets me, I have just recieved the following 40 year old, still in original
> packaging, completely as-new perfect Lucas parts for my 1959 MG Farina
> Magnette:
>    2 turn signal assemblies
>    2 stop light bases and lense bottom halves
>    1 Horn Rim (ya, a Lucas part!)
>    2 Reverse reflector rims
>    1 Large boot reverse lamp
>      ...as well as a vacumm advance, an interesting book, and headlamp
> gaskets...
>
> THE QUESTION IS...
>
>    All of these parts look BRAND NEW, and aside from never putting them on my
> car (not an option) what can be done to preserve these parts?  Chrome polish
> I'm sure would just damage the perfect chrome rather than protect it.  These
> parts are getting stored in my mother's linen closet until the car is painted,
> but what would you all do to protect these parts from the elements once
> installed?
>
>    Thanks,
>        John

John,

1) To get the steering wheel off your Magnette requires the THREE grub
screws, set at 120 degrees appart, round the steering wheel hub, to be
undone. They are set well into the holes, deep down. They secure a steel
rim that holds on the whole wheel centre, including the horn ring. This
'ring' simply EARTHS the brass contact set in the centre of the steering
wheel securing nut, ( its wire feeding in from the bottom of the
steering box.) You cannot see this nut UNTIL you get the horn-ring off
as described. If the three grb screws are seized, you will have to
CAREFULLY drill them out, best done with the windscreen out for better
access, ( if you are taking it out that is.....) or from underneath,
head in the footwell.

The large nut is not usually too tight, but the way to get the steering
wheel off once you have loosend that nut, is to simply sit in the
drivers seat, knees hard up under the steering wheel, forcing it towards
you, and giving the nut a hard-sharp tap with a big hammer, ( also known
as a precision precussion instrument, or Paddys Screwdriver....) The
steering wheel is splined to the shaft, and sits on a small taper, (
that it sticks too.)

To preserve your plastic, do not let the sun get to it!!

Neil.