Re: Fram Filters 77B

To: Jerry Causey <jcausey@whidbey.com>
Subject: Re: Fram Filters 77B
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 07:54:57 -0700
Jerry Causey wrote:

> Andy:
> In a word, "Yes" (and Yes and Yes). I'm not sure what brands are
> available in Canada, but I'm sure almost anything would be better if
> you like to have oil flowing through your oil galleries immediately
> after start up. I use WIX 51068 (NAPA 1068) myself. Instant oil
> pressure indicated on my mechanical dual gauge after the car has
> been sitting for a week. With Fram, a 4 to 6 second wait, then
> (finally) oil pressure. I was a life-long Fram user until 3 or 4 years
> ago when NAMGBR's MGB Driver magazine ran a series of tech
> articles on oil filters.
>
> Regards,
> Jerry
> '67 MGB GT
>
> >> remember the thread about Fram filters and anti drain back
> features
> >>
> > Sorry I didn't see the thread on Fram filters; is there a problem with
> > them, I just installed one on my 77B (72 engine duel carb) was this a
> > bad idea, should I change it????

I missed the Fram filter thread as well, but if any Midget 1500 listers
are reading this, your engine is based on that from the TRIUMPH HERALD
of the 1950's. This engine developed a bad name for early bearing wear.
It was all down to people fitting cheap after-market disposable oil
filters, that did NOT contain a drain-back-valve. When the engine
stopped, the system drained itself out. On re-starting, the pump had to
re-prime itself, and then feed the bearings, NOT a good thing running
bearings almost dry on starting...........

"HERALD-RATTLE" became a well known sound as they were started up, as
those big-end shells rattled away dry!

Neil