Re: Just getting started

To: Stanley Herr <sherr01@mail.orion.org>
Subject: Re: Just getting started
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:25:22 -0500
Stanley Herr wrote:

> ho there just getting started on buying an MG, got the bug so you could
> say and I stumbled

<Yep. No cure. Wives can put it in remission, though>

>  I live in
> Springfield, Missouri (the ozarks) The man selling it says it has a 1.6
> litre job in it (single two barrel carb on top he says isn't stock) and it
> runs like a top...or so it would seem at this point in time!  the body has
> no rust and the top needs new windows in the back and a new paint job is
> in the lineup, all for $1200

Well, Andrew, do you hear the distant sounds of an exiting turnip truck?

I'm assuming the Midget must be rubber bumpered if the DPO is saying it is a
1.6 liter motor. They RB Midgets has that (marignal) Spitfire motor in them.
If it has a 2-barrel downdraft then it is likely the Weber DGV carb. Nothing
the matter with the carb but it is not a performance unit. Any car selling for
$1,200 must be approached with few expectations.

Now, how about taking a looksy at another car. This is a fellow that listed in
the Kansas City MG Car Club. To wit:

FOR SALE 1973 MG Midget completely restored, no rust, runs great. Red w/tan
top and winter top, autumn leaf cockpit & wire wheels, extra engine and
transmission and two footlockers of parts. $3,000 firm. Drivfe it home from
Bransom. Call Chuck Zehnder at 417-334-7437 days, 417-779-8006 evenings.

****
That is exactly ALL I know about the car. However, if you are of a mind, I
would be curious if an unbiased eyeball takes a gander at this thing. There
are all sorts of definitions of "completely restored."

If $3,000 is out of your budget, you may consider that a $1,200 car plus a new
paint job is more than a $3,000 car that has decent paint.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '49A Wench.
"Now if only it had round wheel arches."