Re: IT PASSED!!!! (longish)

To: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: IT PASSED!!!! (longish)
From: Patrick Bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 09:48:49 -0700
Christopher G. Moog wrote:

> Pat,
>
> All that worry over nothing.

Well I checked with my results 2 years ago and they have actually raised
the limits on HC and lowered a bit on CO as for NOX they aren't checking
for that yet,I heard they were being more lenient right now due to all
the concern in the media.There is still a lot of confusion it seems
While i was there a guy in a S-10 pickup failed and at another smog
station the guy showed me a lot of "gross polluter" failures(I stayed
away from him!!)As for worrying over nothing I did change the oil,adjust
with colortune put in high test gas before I went.

> Now just add fuel to the fire.  If you were a regulator
> how would you write the laws to achieve these goals (prevent blatantly
> dirty vehicles that require adjustments or minor repairs from dirtying
> the air)?
>
>Oh I don't know How about putting a couple of cents per gallon of gas and
>giving everyone a FREE tune-up every year when they renew their cars
>registration?The state could have agreements with reputable mechanics and each
>and every car would be tuned as good as possible.The poorer would have their
>cars in much better shape than now This would lower emmissions and probably
>use a lot less gas per year of course the Oil companies wouldn't like that!The
>problem as I see it is people are at the mercy of mechanics and nobody trusts
>them so a lot of people don't take their cars to anyone and they don't know
>how to do the simplest maintenance.We are car hobbiests so we tinker with our
>cars and keep trying to get them to run better but the average joe couldn't
>care less to him it's just an appliance.I know a guy who never changes his oil
>and only will change a plug when it breaks but he says "It's a japanese car
>you never have to do anything to it"The new car ads don't help with them !
!
telling people you can drive it 100,000 miles without tuning it up.Back in the
50s and 60s cars required more maintenance and we were a car culture and every
red blooded american son would work on his car today all the yuppies and brain
dead X'rs just drive them,and the newer cars are not easy to work on
yourself.This is a complex problem and I would like to see the money interesets
out of it, I think sane programs that don't put an undue hardship on anyone and
would be fairer could be devised.Since I have  a reputation for keeping my car
in good condotion,as evidenced by passing way under the limits every time WHY
should I have to spend the money and time to do it? The government tends to
clump everyone together and there is no allowance for hobbiests who drive their
cars few pleasure miles a year.They are bound by their rules My friend who
helped me colortune went to the smog referee a few years ago with a lot of info
on how his B would actually run cleaner with a weber and !
!
the guy agreed with him but said he wouldn't pass the visual.This is what I'm
talking about if you have a case and can prove it you should get a waiver
regardless of the cars age.
Pat