MGA Rear Hub Bolt

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Rear Hub Bolt
From: Wildbil923@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 14:25:35 EDT
A hint to listers who might need to tackle the removal of an MGA's rear hubs.
Listers might recall I posted a query as to the size of the rear hub nut.  It
is a wierd size and one lister mentioned that Moss carries a socket for this
purpose.  I ordered the Moss socket and set about the job.  Rarely do I tackle
a job on an LBC where everything goes according to the "book".  And this job
was no exception.  Here are some hints they don't mention in the restoration
books or manuals I have:

1.  The left nut is left-hand thread, so you need to remove it clockwise.
This is the opposite of the threading of the knock-off hubs.

2.  The Moss tool is adequate, but the fit is not real tight and the metal
from which the socket is made is relatively soft pressed steel.  Further, the
hub nut is very shallow, offering little opportunity for any sort of socket to
get a grip.  The right-hand nut of my MGA was on VERY tight.  Every time I
tried to remove it, the socket would slip off, and the socket metal would get
a bit gouged.  The more leverage I would add to  my breaker bar, the more
easily it would slip off.  I was about to go rent an air impact wrench, when I
had a bright idea that saved the day.  I took a large three-legged puller I've
had hanging around my garage forever-and-a-day and used it to stabilize the
socket onto the nut.  I placed the socket with breaker bar attached on the
nut.  As my daughter held the socket/breaker bar combination in place, I
placed the three legs of the puller behind the hub flange.  I then tightened
the puller against the socket holder of the breaker bar.  This kept the hub
socket firmly in place and allowed me to apply sufficient leverage to undo the
nut.

Hopefully this hint will keep other listers from making creative use of the
English language and upsetting the British sensibilities of our little MGA's.
This approach should also work for early MGB's, which I believe have the same
hub arrangement as the MGA.  I also recall my Sprite axle hub was also held on
in this fashion, but it has a standard nut size and mine came off easily.

Bill Wilkman
1960 MGA
1060 AH Sprite
1961 AH 3000 BT7