Re: Beheading a 76 B

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Beheading a 76 B
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 23:34:26 -0500
Tyson Sherman wrote:

> I took the head off of my B tonight after finding out that #2 cylinder
> wasn't working.

Did you do a compression test?

> About the valves.  I'm assuming that #2 wasn't working because the rocker
> assembly wasn't fully tightened.  If I place a straighedge across all the
> (closed) valve stems with the rocker assembly removed (head off of car),
> #2,3,6,7 valves are taller.  I'm not sure if those are intake or exhaust,
> but I think they're the smaller ones.  Also #1 valve was white.  And
> cylinders #1 & 4 were black while #2 and 3 were still shiny.

2, 3, 6, & 7 are the intake valves.1, 4, 5, & 8 are exhaust valves. It is
normal for them to be white (and smaller)

That cylinders 1 & 4 or coked up and 2 & 3 shiny might be the better
scavenging at idle due to the odd siamesed center exhaust port.

> Should the different height valves bother me?

I don't know. You didn't replace any valves or seats? It may be that someone
replaced the exhaust seats therefore those valves don't stick out so much.
Normal.

> I'm moving back to school in two weeks; mom says if I don't take the car
> with me it's gone.  It's been immobile in her garage for two months!!!

Other than the bodged rocker studs, I still don't understand what would just
kill the #2 cylinder. Maybe while the head is off, perhaps you can turn the
motor and measure how much lift you have on each cam lob. I don't have the
specs but am guessing it ain't going to be much more than 3/8's of an inch
and all should be uniform.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6