Is it worth it? (Somewhat longish)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Is it worth it? (Somewhat longish)
From: Darren_Jameson@illinova.com
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 18:30:11 -0500
First of all, sorry for lurking for a couple of months.  Here's my latest
non-fiction.
I was out in the country today doing line patrol for the company I work for
and noticed two LBC's in desparate need for a loving owner / restorer.
Note: for the record, this was all done at lunchtime!
I turned the corner of a country lane and noticed a small white roadster
with a black top.  I instantly recognized it as a Triumph Spitfire (MK1?).
Since there was a good crop of weeds growing around it, I deduced that it
had been sitting for some time.  I also noticed that the sticker on the
license plate read May 1989.  I walked around the car several times, noting
the plastic side curtains were intact and the top looked in good shape.
The body was a basket case however.  I walked up to the house and knocked
serveral times, but noone answered.  I left my card in the front door and
instructed the owner to call at his or her convenience.
I went down the road about a quarter of a mile and again saw a lifeless
hulk sitting in a front yard.  This time it was a '67 or '68 MGBGT.
Imagine being in Ford and Chevy country to find two LBC's in close
proximity to each other!
I fell in love with the GT instantly even though it had a fair amount of
visible cancer.  Being a hardened MG owner / perpetual tinkerer, I reserved
my emotion since I am still sorting out my '66 MGB.  I walked to the door
and knocked, noticing that there was a rather large sounding dog in the
background.  After a minute, a frail elderly lady came to the door and I
explained my story.  She said that it was her son's car.  He wasn't there
and once again I left my card.
I'm not really interested in bloodying my knuckles on the Spit, but the BGT
is another matter.
My question is this:
1.  If the owners want to part with the vehicles, how much should I offer?
2.  I think the GT is worth restoring, but is the Spit?  I don't think it's
a rare car is it?
Thank you all for your patience.  I thought that this find had to be shared
with others.
Safety Faster!
Darren Jameson
'66B