Re: Temperature sensor on MGA

To: <AEKell@aol.com>, <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Temperature sensor on MGA
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 21:39:30 -0500
Simon,
   Be careful when choosing a sealer for the temperature sender.  You
want to make sure that whatever you use doesnt insulate the sender from
the block.  The sender is a temperature sensitive resistive element and
completes an electrical circuit from the dash reference voltage, through
the gauge, then through the sender to electrical ground in the block.  If
the sender is insulated the temperature gauge either won't work or will
be off due to the increased resistance.
   This isn't a big problem because the thread is a tapered pipe type and
tends to 'bite' into the metal of the block as it's tightened, but it's
something
to watch for.  Probably a thin coat of silicone gasket sealer, then snug it
up and let the seal set up and you won't have leak problems.
  Boy, would you look at this....  it sure is a lot of stuf to write just to
recommend some goo to seal up a water joint.  I must be getting more
verbose the older I get.
Have fun.
Harlan