Re: Temperature sensor on MGA

To: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Subject: Re: Temperature sensor on MGA
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 08:21:11 -0700
Harlan,

I am not sure if the MGA sensor is the same as an MGB sensor, at least in
terms of outline. On the MGA, there is, in essence a very large
alcohol-filled thermometer.

The tapered pipe fitting pushes the bulb into the space below the
thermostat and (here is the key issue) through a hole in the centre of the
screw fitting runs the pipe back to the guage -- it is around this that I
wonder about leakage.

Simon

At 09:39 PM 8/3/98 -0500, Harlan Jillson wrote:
>Simon,
>   Be careful when choosing a sealer for the temperature sender.  You
>want to make sure that whatever you use doesnt insulate the sender from
>the block.  The sender is a temperature sensitive resistive element and
>completes an electrical circuit from the dash reference voltage, through
>the gauge, then through the sender to electrical ground in the block.  If
>the sender is insulated the temperature gauge either won't work or will
>be off due to the increased resistance.
>   This isn't a big problem because the thread is a tapered pipe type and
>tends to 'bite' into the metal of the block as it's tightened, but it's
>something
>to watch for.  Probably a thin coat of silicone gasket sealer, then snug it
>up and let the seal set up and you won't have leak problems.
>  Boy, would you look at this....  it sure is a lot of stuf to write just to
>recommend some goo to seal up a water joint.  I must be getting more
>verbose the older I get.
>Have fun.
>Harlan

---