Re: searching '72 mgb cowl - steering column

To: "Lothar Liebig" <liebig@dialog.uni-oldenburg.de>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: searching '72 mgb cowl - steering column
From: ninab@scoresheet.com (Nina Barton)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 10:54:31 -0700
At  6:01 PM 8/3/98 +0200, Lothar Liebig wrote:
>can someone pls help me locate a cowl - steering column
>for a '72 MGB tourer? as far as I checked it is not available in
>Germany (if it is, and someone does know where to order it
>pls drop me a line).
Hi Lothar,
        I spent a good amount of time looking for a better steering column
for my 71 BGT last year.  I would definitely have considered a new one, but
they were "no longer available".  I ended up with four different ones
before I found the actual match for my vehicle.  However, the parts people
I worked with were very nice about my returning the steering columns' which
weren't right.  People have adapted many different ones to fit, but, as
they are different lengths I felt better finding the one which was actually
made for my car.  Make sure the bearings are good and the column is tight
if you buy a used one.  They can be taken apart carefully and the bearings
repacked which will give you a much nicer feel.  I would look for a good,
used parts supplier in your area.