Re: another question on sealing

To: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Subject: Re: another question on sealing
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 15:55:51 -0400
At 11:46 PM 8/4/98 EDT, Rick Morrison wrote:

>The usual gasket and sealer should take care of any weepage past the

>helicoil.

> But I doubt you will have any, helicoils being pretty good seals on

>their own, if they are installed correctly.

Rick and others, I recently purchased a Porsche at a good price.  The cylinder
heads need work or replacement.  Basically, the spark plugs had stripped in the
holes and the previous owner(s) had used a helicoil to rethread the head.
Anyway, the spark plugs stripped once again, for an unknown reason (I haven't
spoken to the PO yet).

So... my question is this: Should I redo the helicoils, if possible, or can you
guys think of another solution short of buying another set of heads and
rebuilding them?  I've heard of Timcerts, which are similar to the helicoils,
except they are solid instead of the coil wire.  Any comments on these?

I will eventually get around to asking a P-car mechanic, but you guys are darn
smart, and I didn't think it would hurt for me to run this buy ya.

thanks

jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.