Re: another question on sealing

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: another question on sealing
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 06:57:00 -0700
Jurgen Hartwig wrote:

> At 11:46 PM 8/4/98 EDT, Rick Morrison wrote:
> >The usual gasket and sealer should take care of any weepage past the
> >helicoil.
> > But I doubt you will have any, helicoils being pretty good seals on
> >their own, if they are installed correctly.
>
> Rick and others, I recently purchased a Porsche at a good price. The
> cylinder heads need work or replacement. Basically, the spark plugs
> had stripped in the holes and the previous owner(s) had used a
> helicoil to rethread the head. Anyway, the spark plugs stripped once
> again, for an unknown reason (I haven't spoken to the PO yet).
>
> So... my question is this: Should I redo the helicoils, if possible,
> or can you guys think of another solution short of buying another set
> of heads and rebuilding them? I've heard of Timcerts, which are
> similar to the helicoils, except they are solid instead of the coil
> wire. Any comments on these?
>
> I will eventually get around to asking a P-car mechanic, but you guys
> are darn smart, and I didn't think it would hurt for me to run this
> buy ya.
>
> thanks
> jay

> Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech
>
> When you were born you cried
> and the world rejoiced
> Try to live your life so that
> when you die you will rejoice
> and the world will cry.

Many aircraft engines are of aluminium alloy, and the threads for the
spark plugs is often a helicoil; I use to teach student mechanics how to
service these piston engines, and some of them would manage to get the
threaded insert to screw out with the plug, ( God only knows how, but
they did.)

Eventually, to cure the problem, we fitted the helicoils in with goog
old LOCKTITE  'Threadlock'. It worked, and lasted for about 5 years of
abuse from learning students, till we scrapped the engines.

Neil.