Re: Leaky 1275 Midget Engine....

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Leaky 1275 Midget Engine....
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 19:50:17 -0700
Nory wrote:

> Since many (all?) LBCs have oil leaks, I was wondering....  What
> oil-leaking gaskets can be replaced WITHOUT pulling the engine?
>
> -NORY

Turn the question around, 'What gaskets cannot be changed with the
engine in situ?'

Answer, The rear engine plate gasket, the front engine plate gasket, and
the oil pump gasket on the 'A' series ( Midget.)
 All the rest can be renewed without lifting the engine out, though some
a fiddly to do. Most common leaking ones are the fan belt pulley
neoprene sprung seal in the timing cover; the rocker cover gasket; the
side plate covers on engines with these fitted, ( not 1275 Midget,);
rear crankshaft  scroll seal on older engines, ( not 18GB onwards MGB
engine,).

Anyone think of any others?

Neil