Colortuning a 'B - the saga continues

To: "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Colortuning a 'B - the saga continues
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 03:10:46 -0400
Hello all (again),
    Got that darned gas leak fixed, it just took a few minutes of fiddling
with the gaskets and ring to get good results.  The electrical problem that
I asked about earlier has also solved itself.  After checking the schematic
and pulling the plug to the alternator, the light shut off.  When I fired
the car up, the light came back on - and stayed on.  Add that to the
horrible squeal coming from my alternator, and I see that's it's way of
signing off.  So, I need an alternator for the 'B and an alternator for my
other car, long story.

    But the fun part had just begun.  Soldiering on, I decided to try to
tune the car anyway, feeling that a drive to TRF's summer party with the red
idiot light staring me in the eyes might not be so bad.  I pulled out my new
colortune and decided to pair it with my synchronizer for what I thought
would be a fast tune.  I was a bit wrong.  The first test in carb one had it
showing so rich, the colortune was black within minutes.  I was able to get
a nice blue spark at an intermediate idle speed though.  Carb two (towards
the back of the car) was not so helpful.  In fact, after a little bit of
playing, I can't get the car to idle low enough.  I'll set the choke, but as
soon as I push it in, the car stalls.  Carb two also seems to read
consistently rich, and no matter what I do, I can't get the same reading
from both carbs using the uni-syn.  I checked for vacuum leaks and found
none.

    So here's my question, if you're still reading.  Is there any way to
start over and use a methodical approach to tuning this car?  What would any
of you do if faced with a car, fitted with fresh HIF-4's that was way out of
tune?  Thanks for any advice, it seems the car is mad at me.  The gauges
stopped working (again)...

Goodnight, and thanks...

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/