Oh Well, + vs. - ground

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oh Well, + vs. - ground
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 18:43:04 -0400
Well since this has come up in the last couple of days, here it is....
The Midget has to go in for state inspection this month (still got
regular plates on it), SOOOO I decided this would be a good weekend to do
a tune-up.
Now Several years ago I replaced the Lucas electronoc ignition w/ a set
of points. I have always bee able to get new points from PepBoys. (75+
Spit motor) Now today It took better than 40 minutes to find the right
set. (shoulda known better) Got 'em home plopped 'em on the old dizzy ond
NO JOY!!
WDF I thought. Went and pulled out the Haynes and the Factory Manuals.
Looked up the wiring diagrams, and HUH?? Got me cold.

So I tried the put back what you done took out ploy.

VROOM. Fired right up. Shut er down looked at the diff between the two
sets and lo and behold, the non-movable contact is grounded - not the
movable one (or could be the other way). Seems the ol' PepBoys sold me a
set of points from the ol' pos ground spits, (course I tol' em it was a
spit motor, silly me).
Now I filed the snot out of the old set of points, before I went to
PepBoys, so I figure I got a few miles on the old set 'fore I gotta get
ANOTHER new set.
Think the dummis at PepBoys will take the "new sets back??

Larry Macy
78 MIdget