Re: Near side, Off side confusion

To: schooler@erols.com
Subject: Re: Near side, Off side confusion
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 17:46:15 -0700
Bill Schooler wrote:

> Neil,
>
> Would you be so kind as to clarify for me just which side of a car is
> the "near-side"?  I can never keep this straight and it's most
> frustrating to see this direction used in workshop manuals.  My guess is
> that "near-side" refers to the left side of the car, as viewed from
> driver's viewpoint.  (Reason for this conclusion?  MGA workshop manual
> has one begin the brake bleeding process at the rear, near-side brake.
> Assuming it was written with a RHD car in mind, one should start at the
> farthest brake from the Master Cylinder, which would be the rear, left
> hand brake.)
>
> --
> *Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
> *Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/
> *schooler@erols.com
> *53 TD
> *60 MGA
> *69 MGB/GT

It dates back to the HORSE, and carriages..........

NEARSIDE is the side NEAR to the kerb, in the UK ( RHD ) this is the
normal front passenger seat side, the FAR side from the driver.

OFFSIDE, is the side AWAY from the kerb, the half the driver sits in.

In the UK, nearside is PORT, offside is STARBOARD.
In the UK, nearside is LEFT facing forward, offside the right.
Just incase anyone is nautical, or aeronautical, LEFT is PORT which is
RED, which landlubers like myself can only remember by the saying, "
There is no red,port,left." ( ie, booze.)( The red bit is the port
light, starboard is green.........)

Neil.