OFFSIDE again...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: OFFSIDE again...
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 18:44:44 -0700
Further to Bill Schoolers question over nearside/offside...

I said it referred to the HORSE....OFFSIDE was the side away from the
pavement, where ( up until quite recently,) it was legal for the driver
of the carriage to relieve himself, ( have a jimmy-riddle.) He was
pemitted to urinate at the REAR OFFSIDE WHEEL, out of sight of the
ladies, but near enough to be incharge of the horses. Offside, away from
veiw, out of sight.P*** OFF is a way to remember offside!!

The rubbish my mind keeps locked away..................

And, I went to GAYDON today, the BMHIT Rover MG gathering. It was
superb. However, I found a chap of a type I did not know existed. He
told me of the rebuild of his immaculate 1966 red MGB Roadster. It did
not take long to realise he had farmed out EVERYTHING, simply writing a
cheque for each task. He spoke as though this was the normal way to
restore a car! I must be from a different planet, because I get filthy,
with dirt stained nails, torn flesh, burnt fingers from welding, ripped
knuckles from slipping spanners on rusted up nuts, and so on and on.No
wonder peoples 'restorations' cost £10,000 upwards.

Has anyone coined the phrase " cheque-book-restoration" yet, or can I
register it?

The car was nice, but there were about 350 similat MGB's there, only 3
1100/1300, my single Farina, one Y type, 50 odd MGA's, good spattering
of 'P' & 'T' types, one SA, and 200 odd fwd modern MG's. Good to see
them.

Neil.