MGA convertible top installation

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA convertible top installation
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 23:48:12
This subject keeps coming around and coming around, and to a large extent I
gather because the vendors have taken to leaving out or removing the
instructions from the installation kits.  And you MGB guys have been
beating this subject to death, so by now y'all should have it down pat in
the dark.  But it seems the MGA guys have largely been left out and are
still often asking how it's done.  Well, wouldn't you know, I just had to
go out and buy a new top for my MGA just so I could install it for the
experience and then tell you all how to do it.  ;-)  (Some people will
believe anything.)

Actually this is the third time around for me.  First time I was 19, had a
crude set of instructions, zipped though it in a few hours, no problems,
and it all came out just fine, except maybe it wasn't quite tight enough.
Second time some years later was with my restoration project, being very
careful, still took a few hours, piece of cake, still came out just dandy,
and it's been in service for 12 years and 127,000 miles and is still quite
servicable without any adjustment, just a little dirty and beginning to
look a bit thin and faded.

So now it was time to do it again on the same car, just to spiffy it up a
bit to go with the fresh paint job.  I bought a new Moss tan "Stayfast"
cloth top for my MGA during the last winter appulstery sale, just got
around to installing it Saturday night.  Have also just installed a new
tonneau cover, which of course is the easier job.  And while I was at it I
grabbed a couple of rolls of film and my camera, and .... well, gimme a
couple more days and there will be a nicely detailed picture tour of the
MGA convertible top installation on my web site.

Cheers,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude

   PS