Re: 75 Midget Distributor Missing Vac Advance?

To: jvr@pclink.com
Subject: Re: 75 Midget Distributor Missing Vac Advance?
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:51:43 -0700
jvr@pclink.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope someone can help me with this one!
>
> I just purchased a 75 Midget (no rust) and as part of fixing the
> mechanicals I noticed it has no vacuum advance on the distributor.
> There is a threaded stud of about 2 cm diameter sticking out of the
> base and  side of the distributor.  I would think this is where the
> vac advance should go, except the pictures in the manuals show a slot
> in the distributor for a linkage to connect from the vac advance to
> the distributor.  This one has no such slot.
>
> Any ideas or pictures of what this should look like???
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dick

Your 1975 Midget, should be a 1500 Midget with the Triumph engine. This
used a Lucas 45D4 distributor in the UK. For North America it should
have an electronic version, 45/DE4. Inside it is virtually the same as
the normal points version 45D4, using weights for the advance and a
vacuum capsule. There is a slot in the side of the body for the linkage
of the vacuum capsule to connect to the baseplate, it seems your entire
vacuum advance is missing.

BUT WAIT..........it is common to remove this system of advancing the
spark on engines used for racing, as it is an ECONOMY measure. Infact
many Sprite Mk4 and Midget Mk3 DO NOT have it fitted, ( 1275cc 'A'
series engine.) Check the spec of your engine, you might have a hot cam
and bigger valves in it!!!!!!!!!!

OR.....has some one fitted a normal points distributor to your 1500?

Neil