Re: HS4 carbs rebuild myself? or send them off?

To: ccrobins <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: HS4 carbs rebuild myself? or send them off?
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:40:51 -0700
ccrobins wrote:

> Everybody,
>   Buy new needles and jets.  Stick them in there and try setting the
> mixture per the manual.  If that doesn't work AND before you mess with
> the float heights, replace the throttle shafts.  You'll be surprised how much
>this helps!
>
>   Also, the shafts seem to be much softer than the bushings.  So put in
> the shafts first and see if they aren't too loose.  If you put a new
> shaft and you can feel the side play still, then you either need
> oversize shafts or you need new std bushings and shafts.  In my case the new
>shafts did it.   YA CAN'T TUNE THE CARB IF THE THING LEAKS AIR PAST THE
>THROTTLE SHAFTS!!
>
>   Charley Robinson
>   `699 B

Because of the air-leakage by the throttle shafts, SU developed the HD
series, fitted to posh cars like Rolls Royce, Jaguar, etc. BMC fitted a
smaller SU HD4 to the Farina MG Magnette, the only MG to ever get them.
They have a rubber diaphragm that raises and lowers the jet tube,
and.........special end fittings on each throttle shaft, to stop air
leaks. The 'fitting' is simply a CORK SEAL that is compressed into the
outer edge of the carb body around the shaft....not unlike the early
fuel sealing of the jet tube on the XPAG/ 1489cc 'B' series, and early
Midgets.

It proved too expensive, and LUCKILY for the MGB MG went back to the
jet-tube arrangement, but now using a flexible tube for the choke tube
from the float chamber, ( SU HS4,) and later the concentric float
chamber,( SU HIF4.). However, the air leakage on the shafts continues to
be a problem!!!! Some USA spec post '74 models had the Zenith 175 CD5T,
( called a Stromberg in the UK,) fitted.

Kits to repair the HS4 are about £25 each, kits to repair the HD4 are
£80 each, ( from Burlen Fuel Services, a dollar is $1.60 to a £1.)

Each time I remove the oil dipstick to check the engine oil level, I
'drain' it onto the carb shaft ends, lubricates them and they last
longer.

Neil