Re: Harley ignition (no LBC) -Reply

To: hjillson@argohouston.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Harley ignition (no LBC) -Reply
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:07:40 -0500
Harlan,

I have never had a magneto equipped Harley so I can't answer that question.
 I would guess that they would have made it a "single fire" system judging
by the pictures of old XLCH's I have seen but, again, no personal
experience so just a WAG.

When I had a Harley and spent some time in that culture, I was amazed at
the almost religious fervor given to the design of the bikes and how every
feature was justified by a story on why it was the best way to do it.  Most
of the justifications lacked any good scientific foundation (a few
favorites- low bikes corner better, wide square rear tires aid handling,
extreme raked front ends are more stable, cast iron is a good frame
material)  because, like most things old and mechanical, it was designed
that way because it was a Tuesday and that was the part that was available
rather than some deep quest for Truth and Perfection.   Don't get me wrong,
 of all the things that I have sold over the years, my Sportster is one of
the few that I wish I had back but it was not the perfect motorcycle any
more than the A is the perfect car.  In both cases they were a very good
mix of beauty, function, and endearing quirks that elevate them above
normal mechanical devices.  But neither are perfect although the A is about
as close as you are going to get ;-)

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA and no motorcycle since the SO made me sell them ;-(