my mgb A/C installation (so easy!)

To: "'john peloquin'" <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>,
Subject: my mgb A/C installation (so easy!)
From: "Mike Cousins" <Mike.Cousins@wsnelson.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:17:45 -0500
Well, someone gave me the compressor and the evaporator unit that goes up
under the dash.  I had to do some work on both to get them in reasonable
shape.  Then I bought a condenser from J.C. Whitney - awesome 4 row aluminum
condenser that is only 7/8" thick !!!  It fit perfectly between the radiator
and the fans on my '77 B.  ($65)  then I bought a standard drier with sight
glass for about $45 ( I think )  Then I had a couple of A/C lines made up
for me at the local A/C place down here in New Orleans ($40)  I had a small
supply of R12 left over from before it was banned.  So, it only cost me
about $150 plus some good luck and a little hard work, but it was worth it -
It's ice cold, and the little Sanden compressor really doesn't drag the 4
banger that much.  P.S. I fabricated the compressor mounting brackets
myself - easy.

That's it.   The real key to the whole installation was the condenser I got
from J.C. whitney  --get one now !!!! -  the thing fits so perfectly between
the radiator and fans!   Now when I drop in the Rover 3500 I dont have to
back it up for A/C (this saves a few hundred bucks and a lot of unnecessary
transmission modifications.

P.S. I could look up the J.C. whitney part # if you want it.

Cheers