RE: mgb clutch in mga ?

To: "'vallely'" <vallely@ibm.net>
Subject: RE: mgb clutch in mga ?
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 00:53:09 -0400
John Vallely wrote:

> Have my mga engine out for rebuild (& modification) and consequent
> opportunity to replace orig clutch w/ mgb clutch and associated parts.
> I want to make a decision now that George M's prices are going up in 4
> days.
>
> Any words of wisdom on the cost vs benefits?
>
> I know Univ Motors tech page recommends it, though I've limited first
> hand knowledge and hate having to make the decision in a hurry.

IMHO ... the 'B' diaphram style clutch is far superior to the 'A' lever
style clutch and (especially when combined with the lighter 'B' flywheel)
well worth the cost and effort.

You will need the flywheel from a 'B' 3-main bearing engine (18G - 18GA),
the
front tranny cover (MOWOG 22B55 AB) from a 'B' 3-synchro tranny ('63 - '67),
and release bearing arm (MOWOG 22B57A) from a 'B' 3-synchro tranny ('63 -
'67)
... this will allow you to fit the 'A' clutch disc, 'B' pressure plate, and
'B' release bearing.  The 'B' pressure plate is a bit thinner than the 'A'
... the 'B' tranny cover and release bearing arm corrects the geometry so
that
the 'B' pressure plate can be fitted.

You can use the 'A' flywheel, in lieu of the 'B' 3-main flywheel, however
the
'B' pressure plate will not bolt up without modification ... the locating
pins
on for the 'B' pressure plate differ from the 'A'.  If you replace the 'A'
10
spline input shaft with the 23 spline input shaft (from a late 'A' or early
'B'
3-Main), then you can fit the 'B' clutch disc.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII