Re:Tranny Rear Seal

To: williem@mindspring.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Tranny Rear Seal
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:58:40 -0700
SNIP.......

>My question is: Do I have to drain the tranmission before I pull the rear

>seal out (how deep is the oil in the transmission when the car is setting

>level, does the oil come up as far as the output shaft?)  The reason I am

If you eyeball the FILL plug on the side of the tranny, you will see the level
that the case is filled to. With the car on level ground, yes oil will come out
the rear!  However, if you elevate the car such as put up on jack stands, ramps
etc, you can avoid loosing too much oil.

SNIP....

>How had will the rear tranny seal be to remove?  Can I just lever it out

>with a couple of screwdrivers or am I likely to need some kind of seal

>removal tool or slide hammer?

To remove the rear tranny seal, you will need to remove the output flange from
the tranny. First, completely remove the drive shaft from the car because you
need access to the large nut on the end of the transmission output shaft.
Remove the nut, washer and flange. The flange may not want to come off the
shaft, so you will need to devise a way to budge it. A slide hammer would work
but you will need to be creative in the way you attach it as you will have to
deal with the limited access created by the tunnel being so close.

I think you will also have fun removing the seal, it has a metal flange that
fits up inside the tail of the case. I have only removed the seal on
transmissions that were on the bench, but I am sure it can be done with it in
the car.  I do not remember how much access is provided to the inner edge of
the seal when the flange is removed.  This seal is quite deep and may be as
much as 5/8 inch is inserted into the case.

Because of the limited clearance you are not going to be able to get TWO levers
opposite each other to pry the seal out. I think you will need to split this
seal in two. Just how you go about this, I am not sure.  A dremmel tool
perhaps? This will generate some metal particles that could be a problem. The
slide hammer seems to be the better way, but boy, that's not going to be a
picnic either. What ever you do, in order to use a slide hammer you are going
to have to make some sort of attachment to get along side the transmission
output shaft and in behind the seal.

The shaft is splined for the last 3 or 4 inches so the undercuts from the
external diameter give you a chance to get some sort of tool in behind the
seal. When you get the output flange off you will be better able to assess what
to do.  Just don't expect this job to go very quickly with the tranny in the
car.  John.

</color>John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.

 ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **

   **  USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY  **

Various MGB & GT's (6) '69 to 79; 86 XJ-S