Tranny Rear Seal

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tranny Rear Seal
From: "William C. Mills" <williem@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 08:12:41 -0400
The overdrive transmission that I put into my '74 B has a small leak at the
seal on the driveshaft end of the transmission.  I've looked at the procedure
for replacing this seal in the Haynes manual.  I plan to replace it with
the tranmission in the car.  I am running Castrol 20W50 in the transmission
currently and it works well.  After replacing this seal and assuring that
the leak has been stopped I plan to replace the Castrol with Redline MTL.

My question is: Do I have to drain the tranmission before I pull the rear
seal out (how deep is the oil in the transmission when the car is setting
level, does the oil come up as far as the output shaft?)  The reason I am
avoiding the oil drain and refilling is that this transmission is one of
the later models with the side fill plug and I will have to pump the oil
into the transmission to refill it (I miss my old top fill tranny).  I
would like to avoid draining and refilling with Castrol if the oil level is
not as high as the output shaft.

How had will the rear tranny seal be to remove?  Can I just lever it out
with a couple of screwdrivers or am I likely to need some kind of seal
removal tool or slide hammer?

tia,

Bill Mills
'74 'BGT