Re: Macintosh no LBC

To: <neil.cairns@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Macintosh no LBC
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 11:17:22 -0400
On 8/15/98 4:54 PM so and so (neil.cairns@virgin.net) said. (And I quote:)

> Its that thicko Brit here again,
>                                 what are ' flame wars'?
>
>This list is certainly educating me.
>
>Neil.

Neil,
Not much time on the usenet or email lists huh?
A "flame war" is a bunch of posts decrying somebodies postion on a
particular subject. Usually in a derogatory manner. These are usually met
with a flurry of posts from others for or against the original poster.
>From there it can go on for some time and will usually meet with a dying
breath after 1-500 posts, depending on the subject, and the intensity of
the passion one feels for the subject.
Most people ignore them - unless they are involved. It can be a serious
waste of bandwidth.
I know, I was involved in the one in question.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?