MGA Carb set up

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Carb set up
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:56:25 -0400
Okay, all you MGA experts out there!

Got my rejuvenation project about ready to start.  (1960 MGA, stored for
about 12 years.)  Have rebuilt the carbs, and have set them up ready to
start.  Read the workshop manual.  Discovered a big difference in how
you set the MGA carbs relative to the process for an MGB.  Specifically,
the manual tells one to "disable" the front carb by closing the throttle
plate and raising the piston about 1/2 an inch, then start the car and
run it on the back carb alone, adjusting it by the tried-and-true method
of lifting the piston a bit and checking the response.

Don't have any trouble with the process of lifting the piston, but am a
bit puzzled about disabling the front carb.  Not so in the MGB world.
Then, of course, after getting the rear carb tuned properly, one is
supposed to disable it (!) and go at the front one in the same manner.
Only after each of the carbs has been adjusted while running the engine
alone, does one bring both into play.  Is this for real?  Or is the MGB
process better?

I'm one of those anal folks who actually believes in reading and
following the workshop manual procedures, but this one has me baffled.
Please advise.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/