RE: "County" pistons

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: "County" pistons
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:54:55 -0700
Greetings, Listers

I have never seen "County" pistons, but I had a bad experience with a
"County" exhaust valve in an MGA about 5 years ago.  I bought new
exhaust valves from British Parts Direct for my 1622 engine, had them
installed at my local machine shop.  The engine ran wonderfully for
about 5 minutes, then one of the valves stuck in the guide.  It didn't
hit the piston, but the pushrod got royally bent when the whole valve
train unloaded.  Inspection revealed the valve stem had galled, causing
the valve to stick.  Oiling in the upper end was copious, so that wasn't
the problem.  I had the machine shop check the valve stem to guide
clearance, and it looked good.  I ended up replacing that one valve and
all has been fine since.

I wish I knew the source for "County" brand parts.  I don't buy hard
parts from BPD anymore.

Cheers, PK