Re: "County" pistons

To: "KILE, PAUL D" <Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com>
Subject: Re: "County" pistons
From: ccrobins <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:45:01 -0500
Paul,

  I had a similar experience with one of four stellite valves I got from
Moss.  In my case I was standing with the machinist when he checked the
clearances on all exhaust valves.  The clearance on the one that stuck
(#3) was at the low end of the recommended clearance range.  So was #1,
which didn't stick.  The others were in the middle of the range.  We
polished the valve stem, reamed the two guides out a bit and the car is
happily purring along.  It figures that the center valves run the
hottest and are more prone to expand and stick.  It also matters what
alloy the guides are made of (mine are steel).

 The moral of the story is that I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the
part.  Does it figure that the shop is going to admit to cutting it too
fine if someone isn't looking over their shoulder?

  Charley Robinson
  '69B