RE: Another mechanic tale of woes

To: MGList <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Another mechanic tale of woes
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:57:47 -0500
        I, too, recently suffered an "incident", but this one involves a
towing company.

        While I was on a business trip in Seattle, Loyal Son is out
tooling in the CBB when the rear u-joint decided to retire permanently.
This incident occurred about a half-mile from home at about noon.
Knowing that his mom wasn't home, he called a family friend that runs a
used-car lot to see if he can tow it in. Nope, his tow truck is broken
down. Finally gets in touch with Mom, who then calls the towing company
at about 1:00pm.
        Somewhere around 3:30pm, the tow truck shows up - and takes one
look and decides that he has to have the flatbed to haul it. Why? It's
too low for him to get under with a dolly. After another 45 minutes, the
flatbed shows up, loads the car, drives the half-mile to the house and
unloads. Cost? $97.00!
        When I returned from Seattle, I asked my wife if she called AAA
to get the tow truck. No, she says, because Loyal Son doesn't have a AAA
card. When we called to request one, the very helpful agent said that
since my wife was present when the tow truck arrived, AAA would cover
it. So, all I wound up being out-of-pocket was the difference between
the Flatbed and a standard truck.

Dan Pockrus
'74 CBB