Re: Heater motor, MGA and MGB, round 3

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Heater motor, MGA and MGB, round 3
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 07:06:58 -0700
Barney,

Not to start a flame, but Morrison is only partly right.  The heater
motor you received is correct for MGBs from 1973 or so on up.  The
shorter motor was to allow clearance for the carburetter intake plenum
in the Factory MGB-GT V-8, which backs up right in front of the heater
box. There is a separate set of wiring pigtails that plug into the
recessed spade connectors on the later motor.  The motors were
originally built by Smiths, God knows who is building them now.  I have
seen some Lucas cooling fan motors that came out of Yugoslavia!

I seem to recall that the triangular mounting bracket is sandwiched
between the two halves of the motor.  You might be able to remove this
and substitute the MGA bracket.  Todd Clarke might have the rubber
grommets, he is the best purveyor of oddball MGA stuff that I have
found.  Then again, you might be better off finding an early MGB motor
at a swapmeet and refurbishing that.

You expressed concern about the high cost of the rooms at the upcoming
GT24 event in Lake Tahoe - rest assured that there are plenty less
expensive places to stay up there.  Our local Club is hosting the event,
and if my Factory V-8 is finished by then, I hope to make it.  In any
case, I will be devising one of my diabolical Name the Parts Quizzes for
the event.

Cheers,
Paul Kile