Re: Heater motor, MGA and MGB, round 3

To: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D),
Subject: Re: Heater motor, MGA and MGB, round 3
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:26:15
At 07:06 AM 8/21/98 -0700, KILE, PAUL D wrote:
>Barney,
>
>Not to start a flame, but Morrison is only partly right.  The heater motor
you received is correct for MGBs from 1973 or so on up.  The shorter motor
was to allow clearance for the carburetter intake plenum in the Factory
MGB-GT V-8, which backs up right in front of the heater box.

Is this to imply that it has the same power and speed as the earlier motor?
 If it does, that would relieve one of my concerns.

>There is a separate set of wiring pigtails that plug into the recessed
spade connectors on the later motor. ....

I suppose I could make my own easier than trying to beg, borrow or steal
set.  It doesn't seem to be listed in any of my catalogs.

>I seem to recall that the triangular mounting bracket is sandwiched
between the two halves of the motor.  You might be able to remove this and
substitute the MGA bracket.

Well, no.  Unfortunetely, that small triangular mounting bracket is
sandwiched between the laminations of the motor field core, so that
approach is pretty much out of the question.

>Todd Clarke might have the rubber grommets, he is the best purveyor of
oddball MGA stuff that I have found.

I just picked up a Clarke Spares & Restorations catalog last month at GT23.
 Unfortunately, no listing for the heater motor or any of its sundry parts.

>Then again, you might be better off finding an early MGB motor at a
swapmeet and refurbishing that.

Uh, yup.  Any more offers out there?

>.... the upcoming GT24 event in Lake Tahoe .... I will be devising one of
my diabolical Name the Parts Quizzes for the event.

Hmmm.  I may have a couple of parts to contribute.  Just a thought.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude