Re: replacing axle seals and bearings

To: John77577@aol.com
Subject: Re: replacing axle seals and bearings
From: Bill Henry <wohenry@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 23:06:48 -0500
John77577@aol.com wrote:

> Can someone give me some details on replacing leaky axle seals and bearings on
> a tube style diffirential in my B?  Can both sides be done in one day, or
> should I plan on laying the car up a while.
>
> any help appreciated
>
> john77577@aol.com
> 64B

John:

I've done this on an '57 MGA and am in the midst of doing it on my '72
B-GT.  First thing, unless someone has another way you'll need a hub nut
socket, or "Churchill tool" as illustrated on p.30 of the current Moss B
catalogue.  I haven't identified any replacement for this 1 61/64 eight
sided socket!  Once you have that and the required parts it should be
fairly straight forward, depending on rust, etc.  You do have to
disconnect the rear wheel cylinders to remove the back plate and get to
the seals and bearings.  If you don't know the history of the wheel
cylinders you may want to consider replacing them while you are there.
My experience is those "clips from hell" that hold the wheel cylinders
on are easier to deal with when the back plate is off the car!  BOth
sides should be able to be done in a day with a little good luck!

Bill Henry