Re: Compression Check on B

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: Compression Check on B
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:06:54 -0500
Bud Krueger wrote:

>       I'm almost ready to join you folks.  Tomorrow I'm heading up to Vermont
> check out a '77.  Compression is one of the checks that I intend make. My
>gauge
> screws into the plug hole so I'm free to move around.  I'm spoiled by the TD's
> simplicity where I can easily acuate the starter without having to power the
> ignition.  Is there any similar way of getting an MGB to turn over without
> turning on the ignition switch?  Is there a convenient way of disabling the
> spark on a '77?

If you have a remote starter switch, you can get to the wires on the solenoid.
Connect your aligator clips between the little one to the side and the big one.
You
may need a floor jack. Or pull all the plugs, ground the coil, and just do each
hole
in turn. Make sure you give it all the throttle during the check.

Alternatively, you could just see if the motor has sufficient power then, with
your
tach/dwell meter hooked up on the low range tach, pull each spark plug boot on a
running engine and see how much RPMs you lose. It should be measurable (~200
rpm)
and even.

Bob Allen, Kansas City
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's
start with computers."