RE: Lots of 67 MGB Problems

To: "'Cathy Becker'" <robertwa@ncinter.net>,
Subject: RE: Lots of 67 MGB Problems
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:01:25 -0400
Rob Becker wrote:

> Well.. To start out.. I just inherited a 67 MGB.

Congrats! ... '67 was an excellent year!

> And I know nothing about them..  The car wasn't started
> for 2+ years, and I could not figure out why.. Then one
> day it occurred to me that the engine was not getting
> any gasoline.  So, I check the fuel pump.. Bingo that
> was the problem.

Alright! ... take a good look a the gas tank to make sure
that it isn't full of rust ... not uncommon when an LBC
sets dormant for a lengthy period of time.

> Well, now the car runs, but there are a few things that
> need work so it is road worthy.

Give the hydraulics a *very* close inspection ... the brake
bits are inexpensive ... especially when you consider the
alternatives!

> The wipers, brake lights, and turn signals don't work.
> Neither does the tach ( it says 7000+ rpms all the time),
> fuel gauge (always says empty), and the synchronizer in 2nd
> gear is shot.

Ahhhhh .... Lucas ... 'The Prince of Darkness'.  The vast
majority of electrical problems arise from faulty grounds and/or
bullet connectors.  Grab a Haynes and/or Bently manual for the
'B' ... take a look at the wiring diagram and check the ground
and bullet connectors for corrosion.  Let us know what ya find
... there are lots of folks on 'da list' that familiar with the
'Prince of Darkness' ... the more info you can provide them the
easier it will be for them to assist you!

The 'B' tranny is rather straight forward ... replacing the
2nd gear synchro isn't difficult if your willing to get your
hands into the internals.

> What I really need fixed is the electrical components.. If
> anyone here has any idea on what needs done, or if they have
> had the same problems.. Please respond.  I need the most input
> I can get..

Well ... 'dat's what 'dis list is all about'!!!

Moss Motors and Victoria British are a few of the major vendors
for parts ... you want to purchase your bits from a Moss/VB
distributor (several are regular contributors to this list) ...
they offer a significant discount on Moss/VB retail ... post me
directly if ya need more info ... nope, I'm not a Moss/VB
distributor.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII