Re: More TD help

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More TD help
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:10:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, ppp:pbailey wrote:

> Thanks all for the Td info I passed it along to Bob,but now he has
> another problem(Yes.. I'm trying to get him to get a computer!!}It seems
> he has no thermostat and he ordered one from Moss but it doesn't fit He
> has some kind of housing with a siphon hose on it and Moss is telling
> him he has to buy the whole works for $85.Any help will make him happy
> We don't want him to get disgusted and sell it .

It isn't clear from your description what Bob already has or what Moss
Motors sold him.  In the original setup the housing and thermostat
mechanism were a single unit.  You couldn't take it apart to replace the
thermostat, you had to replace the whole unit.  If that is what Moss
wants to sell Bob, then I'm not at all surprised at the $85 price.

Over the years several different replacement housings have been sold that
do allow you to take the housing part to replace only the thermostat
itself.  What Moss sold him may be a thermostat meant for one of those
replacement housings, but not necessarily THAT specific replacement
housing.  If this is what Bob has, then he should take the housing to a
local auto parts store and dig around until he finds a 160 degree
thermostat that will fit.

However I suspect that what he has may be an original unit with the
thermostat gutted out of it.  This was a fairly common "fix" when a DPO
didn't want to pay the price for a new unit, but running without a
thermostat is not a good idea.  What you save in the short term, you pay
over the long term in the form of increased engine wear caused by
abnormally slow warmup. If Bob has a gutted original housing, then he
needs either a new complete original-style thermostat unit or an
aftermarket housing (if anyone still makes them) that will accept a modern
thermostat.

By the way, the "siphon hose" is the thermostat bypass hose.  The other
end connects to the steel "Y" tubing that connects the water pump to the
bottom of the radiator.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net