Re: More TD help

To: Dave Ahrendt <ahrendt@agfa.com>
Subject: Re: More TD help
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:40:56 -0700
Dave Ahrendt wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     Replacing the old TC/TD thermostat is a good thing.
> Regarding Dave Raymonds' article; I would add one thing.
> When you use a new style thermostat instead of the old
> version you loose the sliding piece that covers the bypass
> tube.  So once the car is up to temp some amount of
> coolant is still going to take the easy route and avoid the
> radiator.
>
>     I would block off the bypass opening by just replacing the
> existing gasket with a solid one.
>
>     Dave    '46 MG-TC with modern thermostat

About a year ago I fitted a modern WAXSTAT type thermostat to my 1952
YB, with the single carb XPAG engine. I simply refused to pay the very
high price of the original type. I fitted a plate of alloy, a 'solid'
gasket on the by-pass hose connection, as Dave suggests,( or the water
does not bother to go through the radiator...) The thermostat I fitted
cost £2.50 at an autojumble, ( 88 degree,) and I had to file off about
.010" from its diameter on the outer edge to let it into the recess of
the standard housing, where  the old version was anchored.

It works perfectly, the heater ( yes HEATER, an old Morris Minor round
thing with a loud fan, recirculatory type,) is sooper dooper. The system
is not pressurised, ( this only arrived with the TF,) but I have had no
problems at all.

Neil.