"Modern" Improvements for the MGB

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: "Modern" Improvements for the MGB
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:20:24 -0400
Well what brings this up is that I saw a nifty suspension conversion in the
Aug98 MG Enthusiast :)  I'm going to blatantly copy most of this word for
word from that issue.  (hope they don't mind)

Improvement #1:

-------
NEW MGB SUSPENSION UNVEILED

New independent rear suspension for the MGB unveiled at MGOC Duxford brings
the sixties designed system bang up to date  which, together with a GRP body
panel kit, gives the car a more purposeful look whilst still retaining much
of the original chrome bumper MGB's classic style.

Produced by Walden Suspension, designer Richard Walden says the unit which
uses double wishbones, track control arm, anti-roll bar and coaxial coil
spring dampers provides the MGB with improved suspension and braking.  The
suspension components are bolted to a sub-frame which also provides mounts
for the differential.  The sub-frame is then bolted to the car after removal
of the battery boxes.  Limited slip differential, hubs, drive shafts, and
discs come from the Ford Sierra.

The front suspension was redesigned along modern lines using telescopic
dampers to provided compatibility with the rear.  To bring the car bang up
to date a restyling package consists of front and rear wings, front spoiler,
side skirts and rear valance.  For further details contact Richard Walden on
01367 240650.
-------

So... any opinions on that particular product.  Has anyone used this one, or
the Ron Hopkinson units which are similar to this?  (455 UKP for the full
Hopkinson front/rear conversion package)  And is there a US version of the
Ford Sierra, or would those parts need to be imported from Europe?

Okay, Improvement #2:

-------
EVERGREEN 'B SET FOR NEW LEASE OF LIFE

The evergreen MGB looks set for a new lease of life thanks to a
revolutionary new multi-point fuel injection system known as the MGB Fi
'CAT'.  Developed over a three year period in a response to ever tougher
emission standards being established throughout the world, the new system,
which also features a closed loop catalyst, will ensure the standard 1800cc
Series can continue to be used as an everyday car secure in the knowledge
that it will meet current and future test regimes.

The system has been developed by engineers at Falcon Classic - a company
whose stainless steel exhausts are fitted to many British classics and
include versions for all variants of the MGB.  Designed to fit MGBs with a
compatible unleaded cylinder head, the kit will be marketed as a complete
bolt-on package.

The kit includes manifold, injectors, throttle body, pressure regulator and
front engine cover and timing wheel and position sensor.  A layover
electrical harness with ECU, relays and fuse box, together with fuel
delivery and return system with pump, filter, auxiliary tank, fuel cooler
and unleaded filler neck.  Guaranteeing the system's 'green' credentials is
a complete stainless steel exhaust system with low back-pressure catalyst.

Although a formal test regime has yet to be completed, Falcon say early
indications show an increase in both power and torque of between 10-15
percent coupled with improved drivability.  Phone Falcon Classic on 01159
440044.
-------

So any thoughts on this one?  I personally wonder if it would be compatible
with an MSX Crossflow head.

And lastly, Improvement #3... which I wondered about on my own.  Is there a
5speed transmission that can replace the standard MGB trans, with little
modification?

Well, thats about it!

--
Kai Radicke -- kai@autojumble.net