Re: Porches

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Porches
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:12:29 -0500
>>Yeah - try alt.assenginednazislotcars.
>>But really, there are more Porsche groups than MG ones - tell him to use
>his
>>search engine and have a peek.
>>
>>Bill S.
>

>Nope that is an illegal format for a newsgroup!  It would be more like
>alt.nazi.cars.assengined.

OK, I know it's popular to call Porsches that (not porches, I've never
heard a porch called that), but I'm wondering about the origin of the
phrase. The first time I ever heard/read it was in a P.J. O'Rourke article
(Automobile? Car&Driver? I can't remember, but it's also in a collection of
his articles) about driving a ferrari across the U.S.  So help me out here:
Did he originate the phrase or lift it from someone else? If he originated
it, a round of applause, please...