Re: Fuel Injection

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Injection
From: cgmoog@ibm.net
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:20:30 -0400
Keith Wheeler wrote:
> Folks, it *has* been done, and it's about a $1000 to $1500 proposition,
> the way it stands now, that is, as a one-off.  I'm sure if someone
> like Jay wanted to make a kit the price could come way down.

I would think that the cheap way to do this is use a Weber DVG(?) down
draft manifold with a throttle body injection system.  This should work
for Bs.  The throttle body could be taken from any junkyard vehicle that
produces approximately the same horsepower as the B engine (displacement
should not matter too much as long as peak power is close and RPM of
peak power is close).  Possible candidates would include Mopar 2.2 and
2.5; GM 2.0L, 2.5L, Ford not sure if the 2.3 HSC ever used a throttle
body set-up and several imports.  Of course the fuel mapping won't be
dead-on but the cost is low and simple tweaks (fuel pressure for
example) along with the O2 sensor should bring it closer to ideal than
most SUs are currently setup.

IMHO using port injection on a Siamesed inlets is asking for trouble.
While the throttle body injection (along with most carbed systems) will
tend to run 2 and 3 lean; and 1 and 4 rich port injection has the
potential of allowing all of the fuel to be taken by one set of
cylinders while the others are starved for fuel (unless your fuel timing
is well matched to the valve events).