Re: fuel injection

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: fuel injection
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 09:23:19 -0700
Jurgen Hartwig wrote:

> Since their seems to be a lack of enthusiasm among Brit car aftermarket
> companies to design fuel injection systems, I thought I'd send out some
> feelers.
>
> Who would be willing to help me study the feasibility of a fuel injection
> system for the
> MGB/MGA, or other automobiles?  I realize that I may be rubbing some the
> wrong way by studying new technology for our dear old vehicles, but I
> can't see how a daily driver could not benefit from such an adaptable
> piece of science.
>
> If I can get some help doing research I would be grateful. I would love to
> be able to reach a
> consensus on the options of such a conversion.  Right now school and work
> are consuming me, but after school I will take over my families business
> which should afford me ample time and money for projects.
>
> Thanks for your time
> Jay
>
>  --
> Jurgen Hartwig
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0003a
> Internet: gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu

This has crossed my mind a few times as well. If a suitable system was
developed it would be adaptable for all the 'B' series engines, not just
MG. Already ROVER use a 'Single-Point' injection system on the MINI that
still uses the 998cc version of the 'A' series in the MG Midget. So
already a system exists that could be adapted to Midgets, and even
perhaps the exhaust Catalyst.

Rover used the Lucas version of Bosche ' Jetronic' multi-point in the
front wheel drive MG Montego & MG Maestro. These used the 2.0 ltr
version of the 'O Series' engine. The 'O' series is simply the MGB
engine with a single overhead cam shaft. Rover developed their own
version of this EFI and fitted it into the Rover 820, that uses a twin
overhead camshaft 'O' series, called the 'M16'. Yes, all a bit heavy,
but the bits are about for someone to put together to suit our cars.

In our UK motoring press a company called Falcon Classics have developed
a EFI kit for the MGB. The photo cleverly shows a sheet of aluminium
over the working parts!!!! My bet is under there is a large box for an
air filter, with a 'hot-wire' air-flow-meter from a VW Golf, a simplt
throttle valve with a potentiometer,( throttle angle signaller,) and a
single point soleniod fuel injector, possibly in a single carburetter
Marina manifold. An oxygen sensor ( Lambda) will be in the exhaust
manifold, followed by a two-way or three way catalytic converter, and a
temperature and knock sensor in the block. All bits will have been
sourced from current in production models. This IS ONLY A GUESS I remind
you.

The Electronic control unit will be the hard part, but an expert could
sort one out.

IMHO.

Neil