Re: Rocker Post Shims.......

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Rocker Post Shims.......
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:01:56 -0400
Paul Hunt wrote:

> neil.cairns@virgin.net wrote:
> >
> > This will teach me to rely on memory...I WAS WRONG......
> >
> > In the MGB workshop manual I have, shims are not mentioned.
> > In the excellent book an all 'B' series engines, by Lindsay Porter,
> > shims are not mentioned.
> > In the BLMC 1800 & 18/85 ( Landcrab,) workshop manual, shims are not
> > mentioned.
> >
> > But..........in the Morris Marina ( 18V ) engine manual, I quote...
> >
> >    "Undo the four rocker shaft pedestal nuts evenly to avoid distorting
> > the rocker shaft. Remove the washers and lift off the shaft, NOTING THE
> > SHIMS UNDER THE CENTRE PEDESTALS ON 1.8 ENGINES, ( fig C2 and C5.)"
> >
> > ............and the sketch shows a shim under each centre post. This can
> > only apply to the MGB when the 18V engine ( from the Marina) was used,
> > after October 1971. No explanation for the shims is given.
> >
> > Did not " MR CAIRNS" do well?
> >
> > Neil
>
> My Haynes (published 1981) mentions the shims (.005in, .13mm), my workshop
>manual
> (1976) does not.  Haynes says to fit them to earlier engines when
>reassembling.  Both
> say to slacken all cylinder head nuts in the correct sequence when removing
>the rocker
> assembly.
>
> PaulH.

The shims are shown in the Moss MGB catalog also.  Says to use from GB
on....I'll have to get out my BMC parts book and see if they're shown.
(I've ALWAYS wondered what those two shims were supposed to accomplish.
My guess is that it had something to do with stress on the rocker
shaft.)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/