Re: MGA perils

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA perils
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:56:05
At 10:41 AM 8/31/98 -0500, Bill Eastman wrote:
>.... Upon disassembly I thought that the rubber gasket was a little
thicker than when I put it in.  Could this have expanded by soaking up
antifreeze? ....

I used one for a couple of years, never noticed any swelling.  Measure the
thickness.  It should be 1/4 inch thick.

>I am thinking about putting a B neck in the radiator since it has to be
worked on anyway.  Which year radiator neck would work? I has to have the L
shaped neck out the back and take the shorter cap.  Anyone got a trashed
radiator that they could sweat the neck out of for a fallen comrade?

You don't have to change out the L shaped pipe from the top tank.  The
filler neck is a separate fitting soldered into the L shaped pipe.  Just
change the filler neck, leave the pipe in place.

The filler neck and radiator cap are standard design fittings, identical on
many cars for about 40 years now (some exceptions).  The original MGA
filler neck is 1" deep, the newer ones are 3/4" deep.  Any radiator shop
will happily install one for you, off the shelf parts, or you can retrieve
one from almost any newer junk radiator.  If you're just changing the
filler neck, you may be able to solder it in place without removing the
radiator from the car.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude